Sunday 26 January 2014

Day 26: January 26...

Day 26: ... and all that...

Sunday, Australia Day, or Botany Bay Day as I tend to think of it. I'm Sydney-born and growing up, 26 January was always a very Sydney story for me. I've always been intrigued that a boat landing in Sydney in the late 1700s has come to mean what it has. My ancestors arrived a few decades later making me fifth or sixth generation Australian. Both sides from England, apparently. 

I feel fortunate and grateful on many levels to be here in Australia, and appreciate the opportunities I've had as well. I despair at the anger and envy which seems to permeate our society these days although I guess it took my university studies and time living overseas to really appreciate what it means to be a member of a society, this community. We can and should embrace our diversity and all that it brings. 

The eucalyptus...
Pie and pav...
...and reflection

So, on this day, I have a little moment of pride, a little moment of Aussie, and a moment of reflection of our land and its history. I acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which I live, work and play. Thank you.

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 11.55am, 1.45pm, 4.40pm]