Friday 14 February 2014

Day 45: Aaaah....

Day 45: ...gotcha!...

It occurred to me a little while ago that my smartphone camera has basically become my bugcatcher. 'My what?' you ask. It is the modern day bugcatcher...As a youngster, I clearly demonstrated a strong scientific bent judging by various gifts I received for Christmases and birthdays. World atlases, technical puzzles, a 'real' microscope (with slides), an ant farm and a bugcatcher--one of those plastic containers with the long neck, plastic leaf and lids which allowed you to capture insects in the backyard. The idea was to 'sneak up' on them, hold your breath, position said container near them and with an excited voice say, 'aaahhh...gotcha!' Small insects in the top, large insects in the bottom. 

Gotcha...
As in all things, it never quite worked like the ad on TV but it was always a lot of fun trying to capture the odd grasshopper or butterfly or cicada. I think of that every time time I point my camera at the insects in the garden...today it was the industrious ants. With the camera too, I get to observe detail I mightn't otherwise get to see. The detail in the leaf is as captivating as the mini colony of ants here...well, so I think. 

At least with this gotcha moment, I just have to remember to upload, and not worry about remembering to release my captive prizes back into the wild...


[Camera : iPhone 4S, 7.27am]