Sunday 23 March 2014

Day 82: Neither constant nor compleat...

Day 82: ...but lettuce be and you shall see...

I am not what you would call a 'constant gardener', nor am I a 'compleat gardener' (with apologies to Walton). Indeed, I am probably a sporadic gardener and not even very skilled at that. I suppose I potter a bit, I try things, see what happens. I do like mowing though. Right now, I have a few herbs and veges going.

I guess most people use Sundays to work in the garden. Not here today though I often think I'd like to do so. Today the orchestra played out again. One of the lovely things about playing in a community orchestra is that we take the show on the road, going to play in places such as retirement villages where there are people who can't make it to our theatre concerts. That was today, out at Durack in Brisbane's western suburbs. We've been doing that for about ten years. I don't do much sitting up the back playing the bass clarinet, but truly, it is a privilege to see the joy and happiness on the faces of the audience as we transport them back to another era...I often think it is the best seat in the house.

Anyway, back home, and I had time to start the mowing, well, whipper snipper anyway; the mowing can happen tomorrow. I was going to re-plant some of the herbs and veges too, until I noticed these 'buds' I suppose you'd call them. 

Lettuce be, lettuce be...

This is what happens when the sporadic gardener leaves things to go to seed...who knew lettuce ended up with flowers...the things you learn when not everything goes to plan...

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 4.26pm)