Tuesday 15 April 2014

Day 104: This writerly life...

Day 104: ...as community-building

When I learned I would have a year away from teaching this year (a combination of a number of things including long service leave), I planned to write quite a bit...I have much to catch up on. I imagined part of that would involve sitting and reading in writerly places...the back verandah, little coffee shops, a kind of faux-bohemian existence. 

Reality of course has been a little different, with constant deadlines and work matters to deal with. Nonetheless, there is some progress. A little coffee and gift shop has re-opened under new management in my local shopping strip. I was chatting with the owner the other day, telling her of my 'writerly dream' and she said that was exactly the atmosphere she was trying to create. So,...

...given that my politics is all about community-building, the least I could do is assist. So I have chosen a rather large book I must read for research purposes and I shall endeavour to read a chapter or two a day over coffee, as my schedule permits. 


Politics in the coffee shop...
Who knows, this might be the space from whence the politics book with all the answers emerges...

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 1.34pm]