Tuesday 22 April 2014

Day 112: Calm descends...

Day 112: ...of a sort

Like most people, it was back to work, which is mostly at home for me at the moment. I'm working on a paper, a rethinking of Kant's idea of a pacific federation and whether or not it might work in the Asia-Pacific region...almost quite literally. 

One of the expectations of life as an academic is the ongoing research and more importantly publishing of our work. (The only other thing bigger that publishing is bigger grants...but that's another post.) One of the issues I've had to think about is where to publish...that's a decision about which journal to send the article to once it is written. That's actually harder than it sounds...for one, there are so many journals and secondly, there is an expectation one will publish in a journal of 'quality'... I know, cue complexity. Our jobs depend on it.

Many people I know have their place or space where ideas work or crystallise or come to fruition...the 'lightbulb' moment. For me, that often happens when I'm mowing the lawn...don't ask me why. Anyway, I needed some thinking space, the grass needed mowing, I put the two together and ... problem solved!

Thereafter, it was nice to look up and see the sun on the bougainvillea and a 'partridge in a pear tree'. OK, not quite, but the silhouette of the crested pigeon, the flowers, the sunlight...all calmness and light. 

Colour, light and calm...


And that cloud...bit of a talking point today. Turns out it was a very dispersed contrail from earlier in the day, apparently, not a harbinger of meteorological intrigue.

Painting the sky...


All problems, solved.

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 3.28pm, 3.23pm]