Saturday 26 April 2014

Day 116: Yayoi's eyes...

Day 116: ...are watching...
Detail, 1

Today after clarinet rehearsal, I made my way into the city to see a movie with friends. It meant a stroll past the court buildings and another look at one of our more interesting works of public art, Kusama Yayoi's Thousands of Eyes. I have marvelled at it many times before, I recall thinking at the time it was quite a courageous installation, outside the court buildings.  

Thousands of Eyes, (Y. Kusama) in situ, partial detail


I do enjoy public art, particularly work struck for a particular place and time. I appreciate the work and effort by the artists and, if I don't 'get it' immediately, I like the fact I have to think about it. I may not always end up liking it, but it is public and it is for us. 

As it happens, I quite like Kusama's story and her work. She has been institutionalised in Japan for many years, and her polkadot-based work is quite well known. Her works have been part of the Queensland Art Gallery Asia-Pacific Triennial. Her installation I liked most was the indoor water feature filled with stainless steel mirror balls, just floating around, responding to people's pushing and touching and reflections. I still recall watching a toddler squealing with delight one day as she made the balls move around. 

Detail, 2


The other thing about public art in your own city is you can go back and see it again and again...which I often do. I'm liking this one, each eye is different and I guess the eyes have different meanings for all the people who find themselves in the forecourt of this judicial precinct. 

Oh, the movie? 'The Grand Budapest Hotel'. Quirky in places, mostly quite watchable. I'd give it a reasonable star rating.

[Camera : iPhone 4S 1.20pm]