Sunday 27 April 2014

Day 117: Light and shade...

Day 117: ...playing with p-h-o-t-o-g-r-a-p-h-y

I spent a further day today reading and writing with occasional forays into the garden. A mostly pleasant sunny morning with clouds and a little rain later in the day. If you listened closely, there was just a touch of thunder rumbling along as well. 

The book I read was Christine Piper's After Darkness, a new novel and Vogel prize winner, it is an addition to the emerging 'genre' of Japan-Australia war stories I've read or seen lately including 'The Railway Man' (the film), and Flanagan's Narrow Road to the Deep North. Ozeki's A Tale for the Time Being also sits alongside these stories, although with a North American flavour. Despite being novels (and film), they are part of my research project on Arendt's storytelling and thought. It is all related.

Storm approaching (no filter, no alteration)

Likewise, in my photography, I like to explore light and shade, colour-not colour...today's weather was just one such opportunity. Storm clouds always offer entrancing shapes and textures. During the day I also liked the way the changes in the light changed the appearance of the rogue bamboo out the back. 

Bamboo at 3.41, no alteration, pre-rain



Bamboo at 4.23, no alteration, post-rain

It reminds me I must busy myself with extracting it (again) one day...


[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 75-300mm, 2.12pm, 3.41pm, 4.23pm]