Thursday 1 May 2014

Day 121: A pearler of a day...

Day 121: ...on reflection...

I have several writing projects on the go at the moment. They all have a common thread, they all have to do with Australia-Japan-politics-philosophy...right now it is like I've been given the keys to my favourite shop and just told to 'help yourself'. Three (possibly a fourth) books, several articles and just reading. I'm trying to bring some order to what needs to be done by carving up the week with a day devoted to each project...otherwise I'd be all over the place. 

Today I was continuing with the pearling industry in North Queensland at the end of the 19th century. Some reading yesterday drew me towards the state library today to check some resources. The history of Japanese pearlers in North Queensland is quite complex. This is for an article, hopefully on the way to a book.

Thus the view from today's 'office' was, shall we say, a bit distracting. You can perch yourself nicely on level two and take in this view...

Brisbane River...

Lovely place to reflect and lovely reflection. 

Justice Michael Kirby
I was also on my way to hear a much anticipated presentation my retired justice of the High Court the Honourable Michael Kirby AC CMG. He headed up the Commission of Inquiry into Human Rights in North Korea...very relevant to my teaching and chapter five in one of those aforementioned books--how best do we deal with the North Korean regime? Stay tuned...reflection ahead.




[Camera : iPhone 4S, 4.46pm, 7.05pm]