Monday 12 May 2014

Day 132: Simple things...

Day 132: ...and humming a tune

Aaron Copeland is one of my favourite American composers. I've played some of his music in concert. His arrangement of the Shaker song 'Simple Gifts' in his piece Appalachian Spring is one of my favourites. It is one of those melodies than when it gets into your earworm space, it'a hummer...in a pleasant way. 

Similarly, today, just after some showers this afternoon, there were 'Raindrops on roses...' which of course means you end up humming all about your 'Favourite Things' from the Sound of Music. (I also happen to really like the John Coltrane version for soprano saxophone...check it out.)



Raindrops on roses 1

Raindrops on roses 2

Raindrops on roses 3

Now, there is a small confession to make: in fifteen or so years of playing bands and orchestras, I have played the music from the soundtrack of 'The Sound of Music', so many times, I almost know my parts by heart; but, I've never seen the movie! No, never, just never got around to it...I know, off to the musical doghouse for me. Still, it is wonderful music to play, especially after a brief shower on the rose petals...a simple gift.

Now it's off to Monday night rehearsal...humming: la la la la, la la la la...

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 4.57pm, 4.58pm, 5.00pm ]