Monday 19 May 2014

Day 139: One for the purists...

Day 139: ...back to the archives.

It was back to the Archives this afternoon, I expect only my most dedicated dear reader will continue on from here. This is one for history wonks really. 

You will recall from a couple of days ago I've been wondering about what I might do as far as this project goes...there is a lot of material...it may be a research garden path from whence I shan't return (or at least stay on the path for a long time). 

After consulting on the weekend with colleagues about the possibilities I came to the Archives today with a view to putting some high fences around the planned work. I thought I should consult one of the senior archivists too, to gauge her professional opinion. 

Of course, as with much of the research we get to do, it can be a case of heart over head, mind over matter. I think this project will fall into the 'gee, just go for it and see what's there'; at least, that was the view of the archivist. I sense they see it as a bit of a public duty to see what is in all these bundles of letters I'm uncovering...

And there were a couple of magic moments today. Notices (in Japanese) from Consul Furuzawa about the status of Japanese in Australia; a note written in his own hand by Torajiro Satow, probably one of the key merchants and agitators on Thursday Island in the 1890s, about whom I have read much; and tables of data furnished by the representative on Thursday Island, John Douglas. This is after getting through just one half of one bundle of perhaps 120 such materials...



Notice from Furuzawa


Page 2
Satow's letter page 1

'Example of a table: return of Japanese agricultural laborers'

Every page is revelation. Really, what else am I to do?

[Camera : Canon PowerShot A490, 3.00-4.30pm (yes, I found an old compact camera)]