Monday 26 May 2014

Day 146: It's the little things...

Day 146: ...that make you notice

I continue to use some of my time to master tai chi. I'm attending two classes a week. The Tuesday one has reached its goal, we now know the 108 moves. The Monday class started four weeks later so it serves well as a revision class. I might as well attend while I can. I planned to head back to the Archives for the afternoon...

On the way to class though, as I spent a little time on the verandah revising my moves, I noticed this little scene...a baby gecko. Now, they are a little bit of a problem for some, but I appreciate that they keep the cockroaches under control. There are quite a few in this neighbourhood. This one paused at the door, just next to the bonsai leaf which had blown along the way. The sunlight, the shadow, what else was a photographer to do...


Light, camera, gecko... (no filter, no edits)

Gecko detail
Meanwhile, there I was thinking my work at the archives was almost done, but no. It appears there may have been another envoy 15 years after Watanabe. Police reports noted a 'Y. Okada' with interpreter and camera equipment visiting Northern Queensland seeking information on, you guessed it dear reader, conditions of Japanese migrant labour. Talk about deja vu all over again!

Watanabe's report of his trip in 1893 was once just a small entry in a library catalogue that caught my attention...it has grown, and grown. The gecko caught my attention this morning, I'd like to see it grow too. 

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 8.45am, 8.46am]