Tuesday 27 May 2014

Day 147: It's the colour...

Day 147: ...or (subtle) lack of it.

I've spent much of the day reading police reports asserting that Japanese women in the colony are living off prostitution...despite the fact the women might be wives of pearlers, or housekeepers, or shopkeepers...or, something. No, in the late 1890s, all but one of the 116 Japanese women in the colony were prostitutes. Oh really?! Well, that just gets my hackles up, and I'm not sure whether others in the archives can see (much less hear) my hackles rising...

Seriously, when people tell me I'm wasting my time, or I have a nice hobby, or some other comment  which diminishes the importance of understanding our past so that we might make for an improved present and a better future, I get a tad annoyed. 

Thus, when I got home, I was pleased to see a little colour in the backyard. The unseasonably warm weather has meant the bougainvillea has flowered and flowered and flowered, and they were at it again today. Just lovely colour and I managed to get all Georgia O'Keeffe about it again today. 

Bougainvillea 1

The other bougainvillea

Then, just after that, my favourite kooka turned up in the gum tree, just as as the sky, the clouds and the setting sun offered us a marvellous canvas. How might I do this I wondered...and so with a little playing around with shutter speeds and f/stops, and always with the dial switched to 'M', here's what can happen: no further editing, except for a bit of cropping at the end. Just because you dear reader, should be joining me in this exercise in photography...

A silhouette...

Or a bit more...
Yes, I needed a little more colour in my day today. 

[Cameras : iPhone 4S, 3.09pm, 3.19pm; 
 Canon EOS 60D, 75-300mm, {1/50-1/80, f5.6,-f8}, 5.19pm, 5.20pm]