Wednesday 28 May 2014

Day 148: Quite the creme de la crema...

Day 148: ...after a microfilmed morning

Yes, back to the archives to read 1890s volumes of Queensland Hansards, what was then known as Votes and Proceedings. Now, having worked my way through bundles of actual correspondence over 100 years old over the last ten days, page by page, the QVP access is somewhat different. In a past research life, I have accessed the actual books. These days however, they are on microfilm. That's quite OK, I'm an old school researcher, having started out with cards in catalogue drawers in the last century (young people, ask your parents, maybe ask your grandparents). 

Now, though, microfilm readers are hooked up to somewhat temperamental software programs. It was, I have to say, a little more frustrating than I anticipated and the material wasn't as accessible as I had hoped. Nonetheless, I shall work out another way. 

Afternoon coffee time was actually my lunchtime as it turned out and I called in to the local cafe for lunch, coffee and afternoon tea all-in-one. And partly to mark the end of this phase of the research project. Now, to the organising and writing before the follow-up. 

Luckily, it was a very good cup of coffee (maybe two...) and new additions to the menu, soft meringue.  Perfect for the Georgia O'Keeffe effect...


Crema, needed.
Meringue, needed
Committed to the Ekka photo comp too today, with just 23 mins (or thereabouts) to spare. 

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 2.51pm, 3.35pm]