Sunday 15 June 2014

Day 165: The day in colour...

 Day 165: ...or black and white

The camera doesn't lie, after all. Or does it? All the modern camera technology and relevant software can enable us to do amazing things with our photos...should we choose to do so. I use some functions from time to time to enhance or dim brightness, contrast etc. And of course I use the crop function, so that is a little manipulation of the original, technically. Some examples of late too, show just how a change in shutter speed or f stop can change what the eye sees.

I'm something of a minimalist when it comes to such things however. I'm not a huge fan of the digital manipulation which results in something other than a photo (sometimes called art...sometimes something else). Manipulating the images is not a phenomenon of the digital age. When I learned some darkroom skills, way back, we were shown then how to change an image as well. 

So, I've never really understood the saying that the camera doesn't lie. Well, perhaps the camera doesn't but manipulation of an image has been around a long time. I suppose that's why I have a bit of a fascination with what can be achieved by just pressing the shutter button...

I could put this on an enlarged textured canvas, tell you it's a painting I did by blowing some ink through a straw, an abstract...

Ink on canvas (not really)
But, I'd be lying. It's technically a poor photo, but it is a photo, late in the afternoon in poor light. A weed that is where it shouldn't be. 

And this one, of the Concert Hall, where I was waiting for a concert to begin, taken on the fruit phone, in fact enhances the mauve all by itself, I love the effect; but I haven't done anything to it at all, and yet, to the naked eye, the hall wasn't this hue at all. (I also happen to think I have the best seat in the house.)

Purple hall
But I can't be right, the camera never lies, does it...

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 300mm, 4.59pm; iPhone 4S, 7.52pm]