Monday 16 June 2014

Day 167: See you on the dark side...

Day 167: ...well, not quite

Do we blame Pink Floyd for coining the phrase the dark side of the moon? I have colleagues in the university sector who use the phrase liberally when academic becomes practitioner, journalist moves to public relations and vice-versa...depending on which side of the moon you are standing on I suppose. 

I've straddled both sides of the academic divide over time. I like to think it gives a particular 'edge' to teaching the theory, to be able to offer an anecdote to tease out a textbook example. From time to time too, I guess I've fallen in a bit of a crater when one side or the other has a bit of a problem placing me in the preferred pigeonhole. Such is life.

But back to our moon. I was reviewing this blog last night and thought I ought to apologise to you, dear reader, for the inundation of moon pics. A bit indulgent really since I should be doing more than simply experimenting, learning and boring you with the details. I decided no more moon pics (this phase) after I took some more last night...


Up and over the ridge....

Light, shadow...the dark side
 ...Until I saw the moon this morning, 13 hours after taking shots of it rising. A fine cloud cover, the sun just rising up over the ridge and so a slightly different play of shadow and light...

Thirteen hours later...

And a light cloud cover.
Perhaps, if we look closely, the moon is allowing us to see a hint of its dark side...

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 300mm, 8.15pm (15/6) and 7.10am (today); cropping]

Rumours of my dash up to the top of Mt Gravatt to try and capture the moon setting at 8.59am are greatly exaggerated.