Sunday 6 July 2014

Day 187.5: Reading the signs at #bustthebudget Brisbane


Day 187.5: ...can you hear the people...?

I just thought I'd show a few of the pics from today's demonstration in town, much of the analysis I'll leave to my politics blog. I'm currently working on a research project about political engagement, here and in Japan: why that engagement is not as high as it might be? What makes us 'political'? How do we as voters engage with our representatives? I think there is a good comparative study to be made between Australia and Japan and so I attend various events here, and in Japan when I can, trying to gauge community engagement. It makes for interesting observations. 

Today's gathering centred on Queens Park in Brisbane, under the watchful eye of one Queen Victoria. Yes, there's something to be said about that. Thereafter, the group went on a short march and ended up back in the park. There was a diverse group of people there...it seems engagement is on the up and up...

Rallies such as this were held across Australia today. What is to come of it? Well, that's what I'm working on. 

Here's a sample of what we saw: 


Gathering under a blue sky

Under the gaze of QV
Participants
Message

Signs on the march
Ever present
Too much

Eco-sign 
For asylum seekers
Anonymous
Pic courtesy L. Hurse
'JD'
Watching


Further signs

Signs of Anger

Making a point

Our ABC

Who indeed?

[Cameras: Canon EOS 60D 28-80mm; iPhone 4s, 11.24am-12.50pm]