Tuesday 5 August 2014

Day 217: On learning tai chi...

Day 217: ...extending one's limits

After yesterday's 'excitement', the search for missing pooches and re-settling back into work, today was  to be another day. Well, yes, you might say. It was a quiet contemplative start as the sun came through the bamboo leaves: 



Sunray 


There is a bit of a rule-breaking moment there with the sunlight. I know we shouldn't shoot directly into the sun but the effect was there as I looked out into the garden this morning, so I thought 'break a rule' (for art's sake, of course, not for legal disruption...). 

You may recall, dear reader, I have been spending some time of late learning the art of tai chi to stave off medical ailments and other things. And it continues my personal commitment, as a teacher, to always find myself in the 'learning situation'; it makes me a better educator, I hope. 

This week, throughout southeast Queensland, the new season of beginner classes have begun and my mum was interested in attending. That meant a trip down to the Gold Coast...that means just one thing: 

Requisite beach shots: 


Because beachside 1

Because beachside 2
It is not as if I plotted to arrive early at the venue in order to take requisite beach pics, but, well, sometimes that happens, doesn't it. Doesn't it? This is Burleigh, not far from my old high school and scene of very many surfing adventures during my teen years growing up here.

I came home in time to go to my regular Tuesday class too. There is a new beginner class and although 'technically' I'm no longer a beginner...I've decided to attend to consolidate what I've learnt so far this year. It was a long tai chi day, about six hours all up, not including travelling. I might get the hang of it eventually.

I figure it is another way to try and extend my limits. But let's face it, if heading down to encourage mum means seeing the beach once a week...it might be a little too easy. 

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 7.25am, 10.43am]