Sunday 10 August 2014

Day 222: The Ekka...

Day 222: ...and then some.

Today was the university's open day. For the first time I can remember since I started hanging out at universities, I 'wasn't required'...there was some new idea which I gather was about showing off all the shiny things but avoiding all the thinky things. Unfortunately, I'm in the 'thinky things' bucket and apparently people visiting universities aren't all that interested in that stuff. (It's not been my experience but...anyway.)

Some days : the circus
Full moon over the Ekka
The strawb sundae and full moon
I still went. I had some work to do in the office anyway. My also Brisbane-based colleague and I have, for a few years now, made an 'event' of working at Open Day and then calling into the Ekka on the way home. It's a long day, but it is a good day. I have the added bonus that said colleague is one of the authors of the history of the Ekka, published a few years ago. So I get history and insight--especially the best stand from which to purchase the famous Dagwood Dogs and Strawberry Sundaes. 


I have a soft spot for the agricultural displays as well; have always enjoyed them since I went to the Sydney equivalent, the Royal Easter Show. We had a lovely conversation with one of the young members of the Girls' Brigade about their display. Sat through some of the dog judging as well (the papillons). I've suggested my friend might have a second book on the politics of ekka competitions in the offing...

I was also a bit nervous because this is my second year entering photos in the the fine arts photography section. I still didn't know whether or not I might have been successful until we walked through the photography display...

I entered six all up, four in colour, two in black and white and...

This one was there! How very exciting. Interestingly, it was the one nearly everyone preferred but I hesitated about on a couple of minor technical points. Anyway, I have 'unlocked' that achievement level. 

Selected! Ekka photography section, 2014. Yay.
写真展入選しました
I did take my big camera but didn't take as many pics as I thought I might. Good thing I'll be going again. It's a custom really. And there are still fireworks to photograph...


The light: A view walking back to the car
Now, to start planning next year's entry...

[Cameras : Canon EOS 60D, 80mm lens, 6.26pm (top); iPhone 4S, 6.15pm, 7.51pm]

Oh, and an add on to yesterday's email/tweet orchestral experience...the composer replied to my email. Meta-circle closed.