Monday 11 August 2014

Day 223: A little basking...

Day 223: ...in the sunlight

The moon makes for fabulous photographic challenges. And, to be honest, I'm still just a little excited that one of my pics was Ekka-ed! [Yes, dear reader, so excited, I've fallen into the verbify-a-noun trick.]

In between working away on new course outlines, emails, forthcoming AGMs, and a soon-to-be-broadcast radio program bringing together all that is important for me in my work...(are you breathless yet? I am)...I was taken, yet again, by the light in the garden. 

And yes, I was thinking about photography's technicalities too. My Ekka-ed (yes, I should stop using that) pic was the only one that I took after lessons (where the dial is always on 'M') and I liked the subject matter but as a pic, I preferred my lorikeets, which didn't make the cut...so. 

Can the judges tell whether pics are on 'A' for auto or 'M' for manual? The judges' general comments indicated that some computer adjustments are allowed for the final picture. I'm not sure how far I want to go down that path. 

It was with these things in mind that I took to the bougainvillea again, and the way the variation on ISO, f stops and shutter speeds can really influence the outcome. 

Exhibit A: pic on 'A' for auto:


Just 'A'
And now, pics on 'M'...


On 'M', that is all...
[1/400, f5.6, ISO200, 10.47am]

And similar, but cropped, a little
[1/400, f5.6, ISO200, 10.48am]

And one or three others I saw, just because...


The 'other' bougainvillea
[1/100, f5.6, ISO200, 7.21am]
Lost in space
[1/250, f5.6, ISO200, 10.54am]


Never let a flying chance go by... (might include traces of noisy miners)
[1/800, f5.6, ISO200, 8.53am]

Spotlight
[1/60, f5.6, ISO200, 7.21am]

...I must perfect my 'craft'....

I am enjoying the atmosphere the light creates simply by turning a dial on the camera. But it raises a 'questionne philosophique' for me: is it altering reality a little or a lot? And where do I stand on the question of 'computer adjustments' versus 'digital alteration' for future Ekka entries...time to revisit my Susan Sontag and Roland Barthes essays on this very topic...

Photographic tweepster, Shelley Lloyd (@shelleymlloyd) hosts a daily segment of songs on 612 Breakfast called 'Walking on Sunshine'; every time I see the sun on my flowers, it is just how I feel. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 75-300mm lens; 7.21am, 8.53am, 

*There may be traces of moon, later...