Tuesday 12 August 2014

Day 224: Whereupon, I may have crossed a line...

Day 224: ...the one between hobby and obsessing...

I've been keen to get an early bus to town for a while now to capture a pristine dawn. Winter is a good time because it means the later sunrise coincides nicely with catching the first bus. The added incentive of a 7.00am moonset (yes, dear reader, you knew there would be a moon here somewhere) got me up and at it and on the 5.30am bus. Luckily, I don't mind the cold.

Whereupon I did ask myself: have I now crossed that line...am I now more than just a bit obsessed with capturing pics, rather than 'just a hobby'? I think the #612tweepsters can shoulder some of the responsibility if I have crossed over. On the other hand, the lovely Anita (@AnitaHeiss) suggested 'keen'...yes, that was it, 'keen'!

So I *keenly* set up on the South Bank lawn waiting for the light. I didn't have to wait too long. The city waking up, indeed watching any city waking up, is a delight for the senses. The murmurs turning to hums, to all the sounds of a working city. The light is marvellous too. 

And so, from 6.08am to 7.00am, the city woke up...


Special light

Spanning the city

As the moon set...

So rose the sun...

It sparkled...


And peeked through before towering over the day...

Obsessive's SOH: 'selfie' with morning sun
On the return bus trip I figured I'd taken about 70 pics. 'To prove I'm not obsessed', I thought, 'I shall post just the best two--one sun, one moon'. Well, I didn't manage that. I guess I'm just very keen. I reckon I'll have to do it again some time.




[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 75-300mm, 28-80mm, 6.08am-7.00am]


~~~~ooo000ooo~~~~

Once home, I learnt that actor Robin Williams died overnight, aged just 63. It's a bit of a shock. From his Mork from Ork character to the many, many movie roles including my favourite film of his, 'Dead Poets' Society' (because...teaching), he was a joy to watch. Everyone has their favourite line but mine remains a scene from the Mork and Mindy Show, 'fly, be free', as he liberated the eggs from their eggshells. I reckon I found it funny back then; today, I have deeper appreciation of its poignancy. 

Vale Robin Williams. May you rest in peace.