Friday 15 August 2014

Day 227: A new campus...

Day 227: ...well, just a visit anyway

A little adventure planned for today. Post-medical appointments, I was to set off to the other side of town, by bus(es) to Kelvin Grove campus. Friend and tweepster Susan invited me to her campus to hear Managing Director of the ABC, Mark Scott, speak to her journalism class. 

*In one of those odd universe moments, that very presentation is being reported right now on local radio...*

The question was of course, could I get from the southside, change buses in the city, get to the campus *and* find the lecture theatre in less than sixty minutes...I wasn't sure. Bus connections rarely work when you need them to (as opposed to when it is less important) and I had never visited the actual campus before (although I had been in the general vicinity in the past). 

Our ABC...
Well, I made it with time to spare. It was an interesting presentation, an important one. As a publicly-funded institution, the ABC shares much in common with universities when it comes to demands and expectations with government funding. It was one of those conversations that could have gone on for hours and there were some good questions from the students. 



On the way back to the busway, I was struck by the shape of one of the trees I walked past, a specially designated garden of sorts. Lighting, equipment etc made it a bit average looking...


...until I did a little sneaky cropping...


..whereupon, it turned into a beautiful Japanese-inspired screen...


Screen

OK, not really. But it was an adventure today and I was feeling adventurous...

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 10.28am, 11.56am]