Wednesday 20 August 2014

Day 232: Powering on...

Day 232: ...at the Powerhouse, oh yeah!

After a most interesting early morning exchange on twitter with the Hannah Arendt Center in New York (as you do), today I had to juggle two priorities: an engagement in the city and a concert with one of my groups at Brisbane's Powerhouse--a bit of an iconic performance venue. If yesterday's tai chi was about relaxation and calmness, today was quite the opposite I suppose. 

New Farm Park, traditional

Logistics meant getting to the Powerhouse early afternoon (in the hope of getting a car park), then catching the CityCat around to the city and then back, for the gig. It all worked out in the end with time at both ends for a little photography around New Farm Park. 

Protest in the city
The city event was to hear people speaking out about the proposed cuts to education in the budget. Education is something very important to me and I reflected today that I first stepped out in support of fair and equitable education for all back in 1987...sometimes the road is long...

Back to New Farm Park with about an hour before the gig, I had a bit of a wander around New Farm Park. It's a magnificent park, well-utilised and well-known for its gardens. A few roses were in bloom, but nothing says 'New Farm Park' to me like the magnificent trees and the bandstand (and since we had a gig next door, quite apt). 

Clarinettist's selfie, looking towards the stage...
The gig was good, incidental music for a community function and we finished about 8pm. I had a briefly awkward moment in the car park when I wanted to say *something* to someone who took the car park I planned to take...grr, thought I, and was about to argue the toss when I realised it was Carol Lloyd...talk about fan girl moment. 


Powerhouse: we've 'arrived'
We sorted the car park spot quick smart and I was honoured to have spoken with one of my favourite singers and band leaders of the 1970s (Railroad Gin). My brush with fame in the shadow of a famous building, after an early morning exchange with New York...all I need to power on for the rest of the week. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 4.45pm (park); iPhone 4S, 12.56pm, 2.38pm, 5.20pm]