Tuesday 2 September 2014

Day 245: A day of civics...

Day 245: ...in the civic heart

Today has been a long time coming. One of the groups I am involved in is a group centred on parliamentary process and institutions, the Australasian Study of Parliaments group. One year ago I became chair of the Queensland Branch and last week, found myself re-elected to that position for a further term. One of the projects we've been working on for a while is a radio program, Big Ideas, to record a forum about the encouragement of civics education. (There'll be more shortly on the other blog...)

It started with a short appearance on local radio this morning before turning up to Parliament House at 3.00pm to assist in getting the forum going. 

I came prepared for anything, especially what to do between 11.00 and 3.00, given there wasn't time to get home and back, really. Camera, texts, emails...anything was possible. In the end, I worked for a while at the library (preparing for a virtual reading group later in the week, more of which later...) and then decided to take the camera through the Botanic Gardens, right near Parliament House where I was to spend a few hours this afternoon.


Bloomer*
(*A pic I wouldn't hesitate to take in Japan, for example, yet I hesitated here...)

Walter Hill Fountain (detail)
I have noted previously, dear reader, the pleasure of wandering around one's own city, camera in hand, trying to see the city through a visitor's eyes. The Gardens today were just one such place. And...

Bamboo groves and...commentary

...so I came across things I haven't really seen before, and things that were familiar. 

In sync
I ended up in the House, the forum went well, and I reckon we've kicked off something worth pursuing. 

Day's endpoint
I'll be back 'in the House' tomorrow for another event. I have to remember, I'm supposed to be on leave...

Camera : EOS 60D 28-80mm, 2.32-251pm]