Sunday 14 September 2014

Day 256: In the shadow...

Day 256: ...of the Brisbane Festival

It is not just the weather that is welcome in Brisbane's September, so too are our arts and cultural festivals. Right now, we are in the middle of the Brisbane Festival, and I am taking in as much as I can. 

Powerhouse: telling it like it is

I subscribe to two organisations whose September shows are automatic inclusions in the Festival but I like to see as much as my time and budget might allow. 

Brisbane Powerhouse is one of our excellent arts venues and hosts a number of Festival events (when it is not hosting the eclectic choir, Classic Clarinets, hehehe). Tonight, it was off to the Powerhouse. Sometimes the choices at the Festival can be overwhelming, I want to go to everything...

Taking in the pre-show vibe, Powerhouse


You might recall, dear reader, that earlier this week I went to the live radio day. Part of the day included Radio National's Melanie Tait speaking with director Michael Kantor about his play, 'The Shadow King', an interpretation of Shakespeare's King Lear, looking at communities in the Northern Territory. I really enjoy watching interpretations of Shakespeare, whatever shape they might take. During the interview too, I was interested to hear Kantor make some comments about the use of language, a form of creole used between Darwin and Katherine...this is just how the language I have come across in my Watanabe study has been described...hmm. (*never far away from work*)

The director, Michael Kantor, speaking with Melanie Tait

It was an excellent adaptation. The acting superb, the set brilliantly realised. Bravo. There were elements of 'Bran Nue Dae', and as much emotional impact as the QTC's recent shows 'Mother Courage and her Children' and 'Bloodland'. Closing night tonight and one could still walk up and buy tickets. It deserved to be a sell-out.

The set, from the program; photo by Jeff Bubsy


Onto the next venture...

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 8.42pm, 6.08pm; 
Tait/Kantor pic from 8 September, in the Spiegeltent, Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 6.01pm]