Saturday 20 September 2014

Day 262: A community day...

Day 262: ...an hour in the local mosque

A brief departure from the usual pix today but an important one nonetheless. I live in the neighbourhood of a Brisbane mosque. Today, although planned for some time, the Imam and the mosque leaders held an open 'hour', inviting the community into the mosque for questions and discussion. 

The mosque has been here for 108 years, yes, 108. In the current climate of renewed terrorist warnings and given its relevance to my work, I went along, part curiosity but mostly in support, as a member of the community. 

The Holland Park Mosque
I pass this mosque almost everyday. It was a valuable opportunity to join about 200 other members of the community and media (...and police) to hear Imam Uzair Akbar and community leader Ali Kadri answer questions, put their views share their hopes for the community. 

The Imam explains the features of the prayer hall

Ali Kadri 'Do we have a facebook page?' 'We do, since last night.'
And the audience appreciated his passion and humour
I was glad I went, a privilege to enter this house of worship. A peaceful world is possible. The experience will be conveyed to my students. That's what we do. 




[Camera : iPhone 4S, 3.40pm, 3.58pm, 4.18pm]