Sunday 28 September 2014

Day 270: Canopy...

Day 270: ...end of a festival

Saturday, last official day of the Brisbane Festival (although I'm still to see Black Diggers, the QTC production which is part of the Festival).  I've been fortunate to be able to attend a number of events, many more than I would normally. Highlight?, you ask...I enjoyed and in some cases was challenged (in that fine arty way) by all that I saw. Nothing disappointed. 

So, back to the 'last day'. The focus was South Bank. I was there to see the sublime Piers Lane play a rarely played piano concerto by Busoni. Others were at QPAC for the Lion King, or Black Diggers, the lingering Festival mood but mostly for Riverfire...the newly-traditional fireworks and airforce spectacular (if you like that sort of thing). 

The idea of hundreds of thousands of people converging on South Bank meant an earlier than usual trip into the city for the concert. Road closures, heightened security, strictly-fenced access points...anyone would think we were practicing for the G20...oh, wait...

With a little bit of time on our hands, my friend and I wondered back though the Gallery (before eating at the new James Squires pub, goat dishes: highly recommended for tweepsters...).

View through the Gallery, one of my favourite buildings
As we came out, the helicopters were doing their stuff. Something I would normally note in passing but when I captured some shots within the field of my favourite sculpture, Dawson's Canopy (1993), well, I couldn't help myself. 

As I've noted previously dear reader, the thing I really appreciate about this particular sculpture is its changeability within its environment; rather than just seeing the sculpture, I like to look around it and through it...how is it changing according to what is around it? Cloudy days vs blue skies, for example. (Sounds like I've spent too much time around festivals of arts...)

Canopy and the chopper 1

Canopy and the chopper 2


Those who enjoy Riverfire seemed to enjoy it. On the other hand, I found it something of a contradiction that in a heightened period of security, with troops about to be sent overseas again to strike just as these helicopters and SuperHornet jets tonight portended to do, it just didn't seem like quite the right thing to be 'celebrating'...but that would be my day job encroaching on my leisuretime...a.g.a.i.n. I'll get over it, one day...yeah/nah, not likely.

[Camera : iPhone 4S, 4.41, 4.51]