Thursday 2 October 2014

Day 274: A little hometown visit...

Day 274: ...albeit briefly

One of those odd days where a two-hour meeting in another city sets you up for a 22 hour day. How, you ask? 

I am the chair of a study group on parliament, the Queensland chapter of a national group. An executive meeting was scheduled for Sydney today, at 3.15pm. The best flight I could get left Brisbane at 6.30am, which meant a 3.30am start and, since I always wake up before the alarm on such days...I was awake at about 2.00am...

Oh well. Plenty of time really to get around my old hometown, city of my birth (*and therefore the reason for following the rugby league team I do...). 

On the back of the Manly ferry, *bluesky
I had reason and the time to head across the harbour to Manly to meet up with some people and take in a view of my homeground. The beach, as ever, was pleasant (although I'm a diehard Freshwater Beach fan, just around the corner). 

Pic of the day: a Manly pine and others
Back to the city with just enough time to have a quick look through the Museum of Contemporary Art (just to compare with our own QAGOMA) and then on to Macquarie St and Parliament House where the meeting was being held. 

Gallery from above
From inside the Gallery, a view to the Bridge; homage to Grace Cossington-Smith
I was hoping to get some pics but the street was virtually closed off, lined with police and other members of emergency services. 'Well, that's quite a welcoming party for the meeting', we thought. But no, in fact, our meeting (and time) coincided with the parade for outgoing NSW Governor Marie Bashir. Timing. 
An orderly exhibit
Esme Timbery, Shellworked Slippers,  2008

Meeting over, sooner than anticipated but on these days you're never quite sure...off to the airport, wait for later plane, home (with a heavy jolting landing) by 11.00pm, sleep after 12.00mn...a 22 hour day, just.like.that.

House, Sydney, some clouds

Afternoon sun on St Mary's Cathedral,
on my way to St James Station,
on my way to the airport

Sydney: nice place to visit, occasionally. 


[Camera : iPhone 6, 9.06am, 10.50am, 1.43pm, 1.49pm, 1.55pm, 2.16pm, 5.17pm]