Sunday 5 October 2014

Day 277: Insta-wowza...

Day 277: ...from the top deck

For a number of years, I was a social media sociophobe. Never into facebook, sceptical about twitter in its early stages, and as for this instagram? No, no time. 

Well, I was subject to a twitter real-time, in-class experiment several years ago by one of our guest lecturers (h/t @toddocracy). I've kinda got used to it. And you will recall dear reader that I joined up last week to Instagram since fellow pic-fan Shelley said I really should. With the new phone and operating system, I thought I'd give it a go and as if to encourage me, Queensland Holidays were hosting something called an 'instameet'. Apparently it's where a lot of people meet up, take pics and post them onto this socmed platform. They were aiming for a world record, or somesuch.

OK, I'll confess, my actual motivation this morning to get to the GOMA meet was the opportunity to get up on the top terrace deck of the building (which we don't usually access...). Is that wrong of me? I appreciated the complimentary coffee, if that counts.


Take me to the Instameet...

From the top deck looking in...

The escheresque geometry of coffee shop, from the top deck

You've seen this before, but not quite like this

And the cat looks familiar, but not...

Top deck reflection

Kusama from the outside, upstairs, looking in

Tracey and Bronwyn taking pics of us taking pics of them

One of my favourites currently on display, Iwasaki's "Reflection Model (Perfect Bliss)", 2010-12

Part of a new display of Torres Strait Islands dance wear

The ibis, and the fountains

Music time

It was a lot of fun, as some of the pics show. And a marvellously different perspective. I've taken a few photos of what might be familiar, but the perspective offers something just a little different. 

We got to go inside the galleries too, in the case of the QAG, my third visit in the week. 


Good work Gloria

I could have gone on to one at South Bank and then onto Kangaroo Point and on...and on. They were everywhere. But I had my gig to get to later, with a well-deserved iced coffee at the end of the day. Top day, from the top deck. 

[Camera : iPhone 6, 9.24am-11.26am; 2.01pm, 4.15pm]
*Some of these images were instagrammed, and may contain traces of filter...(it is just too easy...)