Friday 10 October 2014

Day 283: Minding the little things...

Day 283: ...a little bit of #612woohoo

There was a bit of chatter on the wireless this morning, courtesy of a regular segment by state political reporter Chris O'Brien, about noticing and appreciating the 'small things', reminding us to appreciate things we sometimes take for granted. It was tagged #612woohoo for us to seek out those moments during the day. Sort of like #612bluesky but with more 'woohoo'.

Kind of what this project365 blog tries to do, most days. 

Today we continued to prepare for the coming trip, which is coming very quickly. I had to encounter the souvenir shops (again). Really? That's the sort of stuff people want? Sigh.

On the way to a few other necessary appointments I stopped in at my local shops to get a few favourite savouries for my Japanese family. (They are, fortunately, way beyond twee mementos of an Australia that nobody really recognises made in a country not emblazoned across the front back and/or sides of said memento; these are friends with whom I travelled, by train, across (Indian-Pacific) and down (The Ghan) the country. Hard to beat that as an experience.)

But I digress.

Now, I've lived in and around this area for a number of years but I usually get to these shops by car. The supermarket was once a bowling alley. We were once very sceptical about the transformation. It's OK. Today, I happened to be walking and for a woohoo moment, I was glad I did. There was a lot of streetscaping done here a couple of years ago and today I got to see some of it. Marvellous mosaics here and there. How very #612woohoo.

Steps in Time (detail), R Cavanagh, 2012



Garden
The story
Reminded me of the tales told in mosaics along the riverwalk at South Bank. You've not noticed? Go have a look...

[Camera : iPhone 6, 1.46pm]