Tuesday 21 October 2014

Day 294: Another day to travel...

Day 294: ...in time, plenty of time

Today it was back to the Diplomatic Archives. After yesterday, I thought there would be perhaps a dozen or so documents to look at so along the way today, I took some photos of my commute. I expected that to be the most interesting part of the day for you dear reader. 

I have about a 25 minute walk from the house to the train station (which you think would be good for exercise...) then, today, three trains to my destination. Given the time I was travelling, the trains aren't that crowded. 

It rained early this morning so I kept an eye out for 'rain-inspired' pics and came across one or two I wasn't expecting.

Rain on a Roppongi roof;
the awning at the subway exit

And then I saw this view of Tokyo Tower on my way to the Archives...
The first train: Tobu Tojo line...
Then the Marunouchi subway
(with a change of posters along the way)
One of the very long escalators on the way to...
The third train, Namboku subway.
But the day was an absolute buzz in terms of what I found in the Archives. All the notes in Japanese to the correspondence I found in the Queensland Archives. OK, so it is written by hand, in 19th century Japanese but hey, that's my job. It was, for me, such a find. (Although I appreciate I might be the only person, in either country, to be excited about it all. Indeed, in the whole world.) So far, 240 photos of the docs, and that was just today. I follow up tomorrow, and the next day and...I could spend three months here I reckon. 

Today's work: I got through one out of the five folders...
Later in the day, learning of Gough Whitlam's death today gave me pause to think too. The fact I was even in the Japanese Diplomatic Archives is due in part to the freeing up of university education by Gough Whitlam, which gave me a chance to go to university that I might not have otherwise had. #ThanksbetoGough. Vale.

[Camera : iPhone 6, 11.35am, 11.42am, 10.43am, 11.01am, 11.14am, 11.19am]