Friday 31 October 2014

Day 297: And we're off...

Day 297: ...day one of a research trip

The next few days have been the main part of the current Japan trip. I am officially a visiting research fellow at Wakayama University's Faculty of Tourism for the 2014-15 academic year. During the year I have to present a public lecture on my research with a view to contributing to a publication. It's an honorary position but no time like the present to make use of the opportunity. 

Wakayama Prefecture offers two related components of my research: whaling and 19th century migration to Thursday Island and other parts of Queensland. Although we'd initially planned to present this time around, I'll be back in December on other university business so we've opted to put it off until then. 

But first, a little morning tea, on the train
So the focus of this trip is really about spending a few days in Taiji, recognised as one of the key whaling towns in Japan and also perhaps (in)famous for its battles with Sea Shepherd activists over whaling and dolphins. I'm going with an open mind and a researcher's curiosity (though I have a book planned).

How to do a bento (boxed lunch) in style
We (my friend Jinko has decided to join me) head down on the Shinkansen as far as Osaka and change trains, go through Wakayama City and head straight for the coast. It's about an additional three hours around the peninsula...

We're staying at a small B&B run by an acquaintance of my Wakayama colleague so I should be able to get some good insight into the place.

A gift, made by a local Taiji carpenter,
for all who would like one
Luckily, it's a good day for train-tripping. We arrive just in time to eat at the only cafe/izakeya open...it's a very small town.

First dinner in Taiji, tuna sashimi, though whale and dolphin were also on the menu...
Tomorrow is the big exploration. Can't wait.
Taiji sunset (just in time)

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 6.50pm; iPhone 6, 10.59am, 11.41am, 4.43pm, 6.42pm]