Friday 14 November 2014

Day 318: #G20...

Day 318: ...in Bris

It is finally here. The #G20. We've been working towards this for quite some time now here in Brisbane. I was fairly determined to get into the city today to have a look at a city under 'lockdown' and 'lockout'. I also had to visit the Mater Hospital...normally a simple case of catching the bus but the busway was also in lockdown...

Never mind, it meant I had to go via Boggo Road and catch a shuttle bus. Now this used to be our jail. Indeed, I've even been inside, many years ago, on an open day before it closed down for good. While the historic element of ye olde gaol remains, it is now the site of a research precinct and soon will include apartments, by the looks.

The old and new
In town, the buses got us quite close to South Bank where there was a bigger crowd than I expected. I also got to see the 'BRISBANE' sign at last. Quite picturesque against the blue sky. 

Blue sky Brisbane I

Blue sky Brisbane II

Onto the hospital then to retrace my steps back to Boggo Road where I struck the patina of the setting sun against what once must have been a formidable wall...

Sun setting on the wall

Lockouts. Old and new. 


[Camera : iPhone 6, 1.50pm, 2.46pm, 2.53pm, 5.57pm]