Thursday 27 November 2014

Day 331: Stormy weather...

Day 331: ...surreal day

The weather bureau promised rain and a storm today. This morning, the sun was working its way through the cloud cover. There was an artistry about it, perched above the bare branches of the tree next door. Not at all a harbinger of what was to come.

Clouds v sun (with bird, not dust speck)
And while I was seeking out the possum, I chanced upon the surreal appearance of the geisha tree which has just started flowering again. I've not seen it looking quite like this before. I put it down to the light.

Something seemed eerie (no filter, 300mm)

I went to work. The SunCoast. After a meeting, we learnt of the death of young cricketer Phillip Hughes following an on-field accident. It was devastating for his family, his friends and colleagues and so many who enjoy the game of cricket.

I was about to leave for Brisbane in the afternoon when the storm alert came across on the radio and then news of the storm filtered through on twitter. A super-cell swept across the city. Hail, winds, broken windows: the full deal and more. 

I stayed on campus until about 7.00pm in the end. Habits of old already. The storm front moved north to the SunCoast but veered westwards. I was fortunate to have a reasonable run home but people fail to drive to the conditions. And there fireworks just off the highway at Caboolture. Actual fireworks. Home seems relatively untouched. No blackout, no leaves on the ground, no branches adrift, no broken windows...

Looking south from campus
Today, the ABC shone. I came to be a regular 612ABC listener because of the traffic updates and picking the times to travel the Bruce Highway home. The presenters, the producers and other staff are fabulous in these times; they stay back and extend their shifts, they keep us informed; they are, in times like this, indispensable. They are exemplars of a public broadcaster. I thank them and I am thankful for the ABC. #HandsOff

[Camera : iPhone 6, 7.46am, 6.02pm; Canon EOS 60D, 75-300mm, 8.07am]