Monday 22 December 2014

Day 356: A day in the library...

Day 356: ...and surrounds.

I have written before about the National Library being one of my *favouritest* places in Tokyo. I've come to spend so much time there since I first visited it as a graduate student at Tokyo University. While I've been investing much time on the Watanabe project in the Diplomatic Archives (and more recently Wakayama), I had to toss up today between going to the library and going to the archives. Japan is about to shut down for New Year so I don't actually have a lot of time left (and tomorrow is a public holiday into the bargain...). 

I thought I'd take my chances and head to the Library, it closes a bit later today, giving me a bit extra time. I can go to the archives the rest of the week. 

Heading towards the Annexe

I'm glad I did. I found a number of interesting and relevant materials for my current projects and, being a lovely bluesky day, there were some nice pic opportunities along the way...

Across the road, of course, is Parliament House, newly re-elected and with remnants of autumn leaves around.

Autumn leaves at Parliament House
At the entrance is one of my favourite statues in Tokyo, with added value today. 

Contemplation, or lunch
I wondered what sort of quiet conversation he was having. 

Another couple of sights I don't often see either, the leaves...

Fiery ball


Let the sun shine in...
Just the perfect set up for a productive and interesting day. Tomorrow, being a holiday (the Imperial Birthday) is the first chance I will have had in two weeks to stop and catch a little breath. Phew.

[Camera : iPhone 6, 12.10pm-12.14pm]