Monday 12 January 2015

Day 12 2015: Garden variety...

Day 12: ...of the very best kind

I'm not sure who coined the term 'garden variety', even less why it means common or ordinary. Clearly, they've never spent time in my garden...OK, backyard. ("Garden" seems overstating it.)

Anyway, whereas I should be oiling the back deck, planting bromeliads, repotting herbs, securing my new rain gauge, mowing and doing general outdoorsy things...the rain has other ideas. (Ironic, I know, just when I have a genuine rain gauge to put to work...)

Fortunately, the loris continue to demonstrate their willingness to act as rain indicator when they perched on the deck in their usual way. 

Wet.


And I thought that was it for the day. Later, while doing indoor work, of the work variety, (because, of course, dear reader, I'm on holidays, so I work...), out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw a crow land on one of the branches outside. Turns out it was our local pheasant coucal but up high in the trees, and it kept climbing. Not the best shot, but a capture nonetheless. 



Our coucal

Then, while I was waiting for a better shot, look at what turned up...

Moar butterflies

Fallen frangipani

Always hear them, don't often see them--the Green Grocer

The frangipani is mine...all mine

Last year's ginger making a comeback

And prize to the person who can identify this little one: new to me, neither spider nor scorpion, but something in between, weaving its web. 

Yellow...

...something


Garden variety indeed. At my place, it's all emphasis on the variety...I'm working on the 'garden' bit. 


[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 100mm-300mm, 28-80mm, 2.41pm, 4.08-4.18pm and 5.30-5.38pm]