Wednesday 14 January 2015

Day 14 2015: Navel gazing...

Day 14: ...and rule-breaking

I don't often navel-gaze. And I don't usually break rules. I have a rule about breaking rules and that is you can't break the rules until you know them. It works in learning a language, it works in writing and general creativity and it is a rule I like to apply to my photography. 

The flip-side of the argument of course is that one learns from one's mistakes. And mistakes aplenty, I do make. My other rule about rule-breaking is that a rule shouldn't be broken for personal gain but only for the greater good. It is my latter day Kantian take on life. 

With all that ruling, is it any wonder my local butcher goes for the navel gazing, or that 'oh dear' look. I'll leave that for you dear reader. 


Gazing

But the rule-breaking came later this evening. I had to go to town this arvo on a couple of errands, to catch up with Todd, (@toddocracy) he who got me onto twitter and inspired me to start blogging, back in the day. After that, I took the opportunity to see 'The Fisher King' a film with Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams. I never got around to seeing it the first time so I am grateful that our GOMA cinema shows these old movies. 

Anyway, that's not rule-breaking. That was after. I took my big cam with me, just in case. So for low light, high ISO rating and, importantly, no tripod (big rule break in the conditions) I broke all the rules to capture a couple of Brisbane at night pics. 


Whales at night

A new angle

A little bit closer

A slightly different angle on a fairly common site/sight* (*postmodern rule breaking). Actually there are about 20 pics, but sometimes rules ought not be broken.

Come to think of it, that's what I do when I start to navel gaze a bit...but that's another post. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 2.40pm, 8.34pm, 8.41pm, 8.42pm]