Thursday 5 February 2015

Day 36 2015: Blurring the line...

Day 36: ...when 'work' is difficult to define

I've just returned from 'work'...of a sort. I went to the office, up on the Coast and returned to Brisbane early to attend a function in the city. 'What a life', one might say. Well yes.

As I write, the radio people are talking about hobbies, what are they, what are yours? Funny that. I wonder how I would answer that? I have 'hobbies' as defined, as things I do away from work: photography, music, tai chi, movies...and yet, many times my work and leisure time overlap. 

I might see a movie, for example, and find it relevant to something I'm teaching; I'll read a book and spot a paragraph or two that might work in a tutorial. An art exhibition similarly. 

So tonight I was invited to the opening of an exhibition at QUT, how did architects respond to the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear reactor meltdown triple disaster of 2011. It is a thoughtful and diverse exhibition. 

Model of Shizugawa

Much interest

Some explanation

"Once, I harvested much abalone [here]"

Such detail

I work closely with colleagues who have been working on Fukushima for the past few years. It is a constant in my work, politically and emotionally. It will remain so for years to come. 

Brisbane model, to scale

Sometimes, it is quite OK to not worry about that blurring line. 

[Camera : iPhone 6, 6.31pm-7.03pm]