Wednesday 18 February 2015

Day 49 2015: A new low...

Day 49: ...off the coast

That's Queensland talk for an imminent tropical low or cyclone, and we have one bearing down on the coast as I write. I had planned to take the big cam to Moffat Beach on the way home tonight anyway, but let's face it, from a photographic point of view, I was a bit interested in trying to capture roiling seas and angry clouds. I was expecting some surfers because, dear reader, when I was a surfer 'back in the day', this was the right combination of excellent weather for a surf. 

Turns out, the water wasn't quite as wild as I expected, a bit like last week actually (Day 42), but there were some interesting goings on...


Purveyors of beach moments

Cutting it

Kite-boarding it

Moffat Headland (again, compared with last week...for research purposes)

Tubing it (almost)

Sliding it

Low light, longish exposure, foaming it

Last colours

Last wave
Lots of low light, long exposure work in the end, as well as dodging rain and spray (the things a snapper will do...), the ISO rating around 800-1600 and shutter speeds as low as 1/40 and up to about 1/800. And just for interest sake, I thought I might start adding how many pix I take sometimes just to get to the few posted on the blog. This selection from a total of 86. Yep, so glad I've gone digital...

Seriously, whatever the weather, nothing beats the beach. Oh, and the fish and chips. Did I mention the fish and chips? And two potato scallops...

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 75-300mm, 6.34pm-6.48pm]