Friday 27 February 2015

Day 57 2015: Ibis everywhere man...

Day 57: Ibis everywhere...

The poor old ibis. It is considered the modern scavenger of the 'burbs. Great flocks inhabit South Bank intriguing visitors, annoying locals, invading everyone's space. Where are they supposed to be, if not at South Bank?

On my campus I think. For many years, as I've walked to and from my car to my office each day, I've always marvelled a small island on the lake. Some days it is completely white, filled with ibis. I've always thought, one day, dear reader, I should like to take a pic of that. 

And so it came to pass for today's pics, that I happened to have the big cam in the car, and there was just enough light left to play with the shutter speeds and ISO. 

Here they are, in a 'natural' habitat*. 

I think they're all at South Bank

Roosting

Fly like an...ibis

Movement

Duck! (Not an ibis)

It was fascinating really, just watching them come and go, the hierarchy of who sits where and how, the squawking...looked just like the machinations of an institution with which I am familiar in a place not too far from here...

*I had a chat with a camera-wielding gent on campus yesterday. We've chatted before, I've been attracted to his kit: a beautiful set of cameras, lenses, strobes...it's envy, dear reader, envy, pure and green. He's been photographing the wildlife on campus for a few years now. He tells me there are 108 species of birds that inhabit the area. One hundred and eight! He's captured all but three. Fascinating.

[Camera : EOS 60D, 70-300mm, 6.38-6.46pm]