Saturday 28 February 2015

Day 59 2015: Clarinets on tour...

Day 59: ...as the Crow flies

You might recall, dear reader, I spend some Saturdays rehearsing in a clarinet choir. I think I've mentioned it once or thrice. And then occasionally we go out to give concerts. Mostly we go to retirement villages or nursing homes but our reputation is growing and sometimes we go further afield. 

Today was one of those trips. A return to Crow's Nest, west of Brisbane, about two and a half hours by bus, including a short stop along the way. 

Crow's Nest got its name from a local Aboriginal man, known as Jimmy, who used a tree as a dwelling, and was known to all and sundry as the man who knew everything. There is a striking memorial to him on the township's central park. 

Jimmy Crow and his 'Nest'

The rest of the town has that lovely country town feel about it, that rural feeling a visiting city person like me gets, thinks briefly 'how great to live here...', then thinks...then does the concert and gets back on the bus. 

Streetscape 1

Nolan Building, now Antique, in more ways than one

Shire Council turned Art Gallery

Streetscape 2

A door, to a pub

Modernity

Was a pic of a galah, then the PO got in the way

Gimme shelter from a storm


Bark

I enjoy photographing country towns. Oh, wait, dear reader. I guess I photograph just about everything really. I had time for two goes today, once after the short top-and-tail* rehearsal (*sounding like a boss musician) and once more before we hopped back on the bus. Quite different lighting conditions. 

The audience seemed to enjoy and appreciate our efforts. And they always turn on a great lunch and afternoon tea. I'm sure we'll be back. I certainly had fun with the cam. Thanks to the good burghers of Crow's Nest.


[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 12.20pm-12.53pm; 3.46pm-3.59pm]