Saturday 7 March 2015

Day 65 2015: Three shades of meditative moments...

Day 65: ...if only it were a matter of flicking the switch

One Friday morning each month I head to a medical centre for a medical procedure. It takes a couple of hours. Mostly it goes OK but how I feel at the end generally depends on how the rest of the week has been. It's been a couple of longish weeks at work. Tiring in fact. Moments of doubt and frustration with the management and administration. They've lost sight of the whole point of 'education' and 'scholarship'. It doesn't augur well. 

So it was a matter of coming home to rest a bit more than I expected, and certainly more than I can afford time-wise now what with lectures to prepare, readings to review, articles to publish, books to complete...oh, and there is the small matter of the Masters...

I did manage to rest and read at least. Luckily, my profession has afforded me the skills of being able to read anywhere, anytime in just about any conditions really. 

Then today, in another case of 'best laid [project pic] plans going awry', I spotted today's subject quite accidentally. You see, dear reader, I had an engagement in town this evening for International Women's Day so the plan was to go in a bit early, take a few sunsetting-type pics around South Bank, or similar. 

Instead, at about 4.00pm, when I walked out onto the verandah, there sat today's subject. The sun shone on my little meditative buddha. It was a moment of calm. So I took a pic...

But it seemed a bit bright, over-exposed even. So I took another one...


1/250, f5.6, ISO200, 4.10:24pm

Hmm, a little under-exposed (I knew the feeling)...



1/1250, f5.6, ISO200, 4.10:53pm

So I took another: 


1/800, f5.0, ISO200, 4.11:34pm
Just right. Or at least, closer to what I saw with my own eyes. Amazing what a few buttons and dials can do for one's appearance. Time out for a moment of meditation can teach us much. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 4.10pm-4.11pm]