Sunday 19 April 2015

Day 109 2015: It won't rain on our parade...

Day 109: ...well, just a little perhaps

But that wasn't going to stop party central at the Cultural Centre today. I'm rather snowed under with work but I thought this was not a moment (or three) to miss. 

You will know, dear reader, that I spend quite a bit of time commuting to and from my job on the Sunshine Coast. People often say 'so why don't you live on the SunCoast?' and here is one of my main reasons: this place, the Queensland Performing Arts Centre, 30 years this week. 

Since returning to Brisbane in 1991 more or less permanently after wanderings between Tokyo and Canberra, I can probably declare I have been here on a regular basis, from two or three times a month to peak times of 'everyday'. It is the Concert Hall, the Lyric Theatre, Playhouse and Cremorne Theatre; across the way, it is the Art Gallery, the Queensland Museum, the State Library, the Gallery of Modern Art...it is planted firmly in South Bank and, as you know dear reader, it is firmly embedded here in this blog. I'm a fan of the style of architecture by Robin Gibson, who was also responsible for early years of Griffith Uni, my first Brisbane 'home'. 

Years ago, the area was subject of an urban cultural precinct assignment I had to do in some postgraduate studies; I've been part of focus groups; I've watched it change, renew, revitalise itself, and the area; I've even applied for the odd job or two. The only thing I haven't done yet is perform there in one of my bands...but you never know. 

So, dear reader, it turns out, if I moved to the SunCoast, I'd still be making trips down two or three times a week. Much better to be a 15 minute bus trip away. 

So thanks QPAC. Love your work and here's to a fabulous future too. Thanks for all the memories. (And more to come.) A few, OK...several, moments in pics...

Happy Birthday!

Rain approaches

The Wheel of course...

And every trip to QPAC must include...at least one... 

Helping with the party (members of the South Brisbane Federal Band)

Memories (opening in 1985)

It rained...but we didn't mind

OK, it rained a fair bit.

But even the rain is arty at QPAC

They did a 'Wicked' effort with umbrella sales...

Water as pure as...the driven rain

Streaming, live

The beat starts here

Bring on those horns* (*said as a reeds player myself)

Always imagining, always imaginary, always imagination

Happy Birthday to my favourite cityscape (taken from South Brisbane station platform)


We'll be back dear reader. There's always something there. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 'all the lenses' (28-80mm, 75-300mm, 18-55mm) from 3.45pm-4.40pm]