Sunday 3 May 2015

Day 123 2015: May Day...

Day 123: ...March Day

Yes, I am a member of an industrial union, the NTEU. I recognise the working conditions we have today are largely the efforts of those who went before us. Those who fought for an eight-hour day, for decent wages, for leave of all sorts, for superannuation...the list goes one. And yes, we live in an era where fewer and fewer people belong. 

Perhaps it is the political scientist and historian in me that sees the importance of the efforts of those who went before us, when they really fought. Really fought. And struggled. It is the least we can do to seek to uphold their legacy. 

Anyway, for now, that means the first weekend in May is part of the May Day celebrations. May Day is actually 1 May, and I was pleased to see my Japanese tweeps celebrating out there on Friday. In Queensland, until the Newman Government decided to play politics with the date, May Day has always been afforded a long weekend Monday holiday when we would usually march through the city.  The last couple of years it has been on Sunday. Next year, it will revert to the Monday public holiday again. 

Anyway dear reader, as you recall from yesterday, I had the music responsibilities during the march but at the end I had a bit of an opportunity to stroll around the showgrounds to take in a bit of the family atmosphere. 

Yes.

Speeches, prizes (there was even a wedding)

Showground

My union, inside the tent...

Lots of balloons

Lots of flags

Lots of people

Lots of colour

Biggest balloon

Best slogan I saw today was 'united we bargain, divided we beg'. It was from the meat workers. They have a point of course. There is purpose in our union. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 12.53pm-1.21pm]