Friday 15 May 2015

Day 135 2015: Currents, music...

Day 135: ...Friday on the Edge

Early start again today for another medical appointment. Mixed news and reviews I suppose but the best part is that there shouldn't be any issues if I decide to go overseas for a while...#sizzle, no?

So back home to continue with work: preparation, reading, writing, thinking...the usual. But excited for the evening.

I've been a music fan for a number of years. Tastes vary, I tend to be prepared to listen to new things, a bit like my plays really. People put in the effort, it's always worth a listen. And so tonight, the Queensland Symphony Orchestra put on one of its 'contemporary' programs. Early in the evening, some terrific modern works with a fabulous female conductor from Mexico, Alondra de la Parra. It is the second time in a couple of months the QSO has featured a female conductor. They ought to get serious and put one of these women on the roster permanently, they're excellent. 

The program, QSOCurrent then moved to the State Library space, The Edge, for another concert (I missed because it was sold out) before I went to the third one this evening, members of the QSO with jazz trio 'Trichotomy'. Typically, the approach is that these concerts will get those who don't listen to orchestras to come along and listen. They seem to assume that orchestra patrons won't go to this 'modern music'. 

That's not quite right. I enjoy it all. Anyway, the gap between gave me a chance to do a little long exposure experiment or two along the river, and since 'QSOCurrent' was all about the river, it seemed appropriate. 

Just irresistible 

Texting

Down river

Up river

Evening Cultural Precinct (detail)

Oh, and there was the dinosaur. Somehow, in that light, it just caught my eye tonight. 

Excellent program QSO. Let's do it all again, soon.

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 75-300mm, 5.41pm, 9.14-9.27pm]