Monday 18 May 2015

Day 138 2015: A long day...

Day 138: ...a Smart impression

Mondays at present, are long. I set the alarm for 4.15am (and 4.30, 5.00 and 5.30am). I wake up at 1.35am, anticipating the alarm. I try to go back to sleep whereupon I wake again at 3.00am, anticipating the 4.15am alarm. (Are you seeing the pattern here, dear reader?) I give up and get up at 3.20am...

I have early classes, a long drive and a highway with a propensity to back up in the event of someone's flat tyre or worse. I like to make sure I get there with plenty of time. The classes run through to about 2.00pm and normally I would stay on until about 5.00pm whereupon I would return home, only to go out again for rehearsal...

Today, however, I had a function at Parliament House to which I had to return by about 5.00pm, via a trip home so I could get to rehearsal immediately afterwards (from where I have just returned, having done the weekly grocery shopping on the way home at a supermarket that is open until midnight (thankfully)). 

But back to today. Too busy for pics at work but I knew heading into Parliament would give me a chance for my 'Jeffrey Smart' moment: a pic under the freeway where I am permitted to park on days like these. 

Freeway 1

Freeway 2


Photographically, I love the view 'from here': the freeway curves, the lights, the light and now the new government building going up just opposite Parliament House. As a student of art at high school, I came to appreciate Mr Smart's work enormously. When the opportunity arises, I aim for a poor imitation of his superb urban landscapes that he rendered so beautifully and technically in paint. My photographs are completely different of course, barely homage, but inspired. I'll keep working on it. 

Oh, the Parliamentary function you ask? A forum on compulsory voting, celebrating 100 years since it was instituted in Queensland. A lovely night was had, by all. But as you know, dear reader, as a bilingual psephologist by training, I guess I would say that. 

[Camera : Canon 60D 28-80mm, 4.59pm-5.00pm]