Monday 25 May 2015

Day 145 2015: A chance to stay back at the office...

Day 145: ...or go to the beach

Monday after a concert...the early, early starts are a bit challenging after a long play day but it also means no rehearsal. That means I can stay back in the office and catch up on work...

~OR~

Inspired by the long shutter exposures I experimented with last week at the uni lake (Day 141), I could try the same down at the beach. 

So I did. 

When I arrived it was dark, very dark. So, I got to work with 4secs, 8secs, 10secs, 15secs and varying the ISOs between 125 and 3200. The philosophy was 'the dials are there, the numbers are there, give it a go'. 

So I did. 

This is what happened...

Wave in motion

Ship on the horizon

Movement on the shore

Footprints to the fore, Mooloolabah to the rear


It starts to move the idea of the photograph as record into a different space, which we have discussed before. I haven't altered these pics in any post-production sense (except for a crop on the first one); the waves don't 'look' like waves, the sand, lights, rocks similarly are not what they seemed tonight when I pulled up at the beach. 

I'll leave you, dear reader, to make up your own mind. I may have to return for further investigation.

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 6.23pm-6.39pm*, *except now I can confirm that the camera clock is out by about 11 minutes...but then, the photos aren't accurate either...are they. Or, are they?]