Monday 1 June 2015

Day 152 2015: A centenary...

Day 152: ...which kind of came and went

Today I had another of those 'after-work' commitments that are actually work commitments. It was a function in Parliament House (in Brisbane, the significance of that shorten-ly) to celebrate the centenary of the election of the government of TJ Ryan in Queensland. I am a member of the TJ Ryan Foundation, a think tank for public policy established less than two years ago. 

As a political scientist and historian, it is a significant day in Queensland. TJ Ryan was quite a progressive for his day and his list of achievements, long. He died at 45. He packed so much into his life. I should put a bit on the other blog.

He was a Labor Party politician but I was there tonight as a TJ Ryan associate. I am not a member of any political party. Nonetheless, this was a front row opportunity to see and hear the Queensland Premier Palaszczuk (who instrumental in setting up the TJ Ryan Foundation) and the Leader of the Opposition, Bill Shorten. Yes, from Canberra where he introduced a private member's bill on marriage equality, to Brisbane to speak at this function. Quite a run. 

Image of TJ Ryan

Queensland Premier Palaszczuk

Federal Opposition Leader Shorten

Under the watchful eye of past premiers


It was largely a night for the Labor faithful (not that I'm one of those) but for the political historian in me, in the Premiers' Hall of Parliament House, it was all about the history and the politics and the vision of Ryan to make Queensland a better place. 

I think, sometimes in my job, I'm pretty lucky to take it all in. 

(Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 75-300mm, 7.30pm-8.08pm)