Wednesday 10 June 2015

Day 161 2015: It might be boring...

Day 161: ...but you can still be excited, intrigued, enthusiastic...

Yes, today's post could be about the whole 'entertaining the high school students'-visitor-day-thing at work today (and tomorrow). And it will be. Because...grrr.

But it is also about just how exciting the taking a pic(s) a day exercise can be. And maybe it's an age and lived experience thing but...

I pulled into the carpark bright and early to prepare for the day's entertainment. I also figured it might be a late night in the office so my first reaction was to grab the cam and photograph the Welcome Swallows, at least they were welcoming. And then, a performance for the camera: 

Well, well...

Look mum, no, er, hands...

...and landed...

You got that?
Just when I was thinking, oh dear, poor reader, more birds, from the carpark, it might be boring but...every day is different. I was a bit chuffed with the swallow gymnastics. I was happy to head off to the day's tasks when the female fairy wrens turned up, suddenly. They seemed excited, I thought that was reason enough to be excited (they are such a challenge to photograph--so skittish)...so I grabbed the cam again. 

Over there...

And then...

He appeared. The male red-backed fairy wren. Aaahhh. Le sigh. What a stunner. And what a display. 

The object of attention...

...doesn't he know it...

...preened and primed...

I'll leave you two here...


How exciting was that? There's really nothing boring about taking pics around here. 

And so to today's lesson. Really. My high school teaching friends tell me that it is the year 9 girls and the year 10 boys who are the most, shall we say, challenging. Today we had all the year 9s and 10s from the district descend on campus, our job to show them a little of 'university experience' (in under 25 minutes). The ones there by choice were terrific, embraced the experience, played along. The ones there because...well, I don't know why they were there frankly. ANd really, if you're given a day away from school to spend time at uni, even if it is in a class not of your choosing...just embrace it eh. It might be boring, but you can still be excited, intrigued and a little enthusuastic. You never know what might bob up. 

We do it all again tomorrow. I just hope the fairy wrens are back to entertain. I'm not sure I can. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 75-300mm, 8.28am-8.30am]