Sunday 12 July 2015

Day 193 2015: The Photograph and Australia...

Day 193: ...an exhibition, an everyday project

Yes, I know I have much work to do, writing etc. And I know I had a bit of a play day yesterday and all. But there are some cultural learnings one must also undertake in the course of one's work/life balance. 

And as is so often the case, as you will know dear reader, my work life balance often blurs into one. Today was one such day, and indeed, it will continue for the next couple of months. GOMA Cinematheque is showing a Japanese cult film festival. Obviously, for work reasons, I must see as many as possible (teehee...).

So I started today with a 1960s classic, Tokyo no Nagaremono, the Tokyo Wanderer. Kitsch really. Irresistible kitsch.

On the way back through the Art Gallery, I stopped off to see the new exhibition, 'The Photograph and Australia', historical photographs capturing ideas of Australian space, place and people. As a rank amateur, with a keen interest in the history and development of my chosen hobby, it was well worth a look. It is kind of interesting how we continue to take photos of the same subjects over the decades. Fascinating. 

Of course then, what was one to do but continue the tradition with a few examples of photography today, albeit just by me, in and around the Art Gallery. 

Rule breaker: into the glare

Reflecting by the pool

The Watermall, the reason our QAGOMA is my favourite gallery

Through the window : Fountain 1

Through the window: Fountain 2
The light and motion of the fountains through the window intrigued me the most...a tweaking of f stops, ISO and shutter speeds. And no filtering. No wonder we've been fascinated by the little lightbox for over two centuries now. 

I will return. There is so much to learn.

[CAmera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 4.21pm-4.31pm]