Monday 20 July 2015

Day 201 2015: On the homefront...

Day 201: ...the kookaburra tried to sit in the old gum tree

Well, he tried and tried but the noisy miners were having nothing of the sort. It was a work-at-home day. At the new semester approaches, it is helpful to become accustomed to the new work schedule. Mondays will likely be one such work-at-home day. I hope.

It was miners vs kookas from first light this morning. It started in the bush out the back and they gradually made their way over the fence lines and into backyards. And it continued. The miners' squawks, the kookas' laughs. 

At about my morning tea break, I could hear them getting closer, first in my neighbour's yard and then the kooka hopped over the fence and into the trees behind me. The battle continued nonetheless. 

And just for a few moments, with one eye on me and one on the miners, the kooka and I watched each other carefully. I do like the kookaburras and their song. Anytime of day. 


Grounded

Noisy, pesky miners

Portrait of a kookaburra

Protection

On watch

Safe

As I reviewed the many (too many*) pics, I noticed the camera capture of something we couldn't catch with our own eyes...that protective layer over his eye as he fends off the miners...almost spooky. 

(*thankful we are in the era of digital immediacy rather than filmic procrastination)


[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 75-300mm, 11.33am-11.45am]